What happens if during one of my trips to the United States I lose my passport?
¿Qué pasa si durante uno de mis desplazamientos a Estados Unidos pierdo mi pasaporte? Visados Empresas

The loss, theft or theft of a passport with a visa means that there is no longer proof of the rights granted by that visa. When this happens while in our country, the solution is usually “easy”: report it to the Embassy (usually with proof of complaint to the police) and request a new visa.

What happens when we are displaced in the United States, we lose our passport while there?

First of all, it is important to emphasize the importance of always making a copy of the passport data page, the visa and admission stamp or the paper Form I-94, if provided, as soon as possible after its arrival in the United States. If you lose your visa, you will be able to stay for the length of your authorized stay, as shown on your admission stamp or printed Form I-94. In the latter case, if a paper Form I-94 was issued and it has been lost or stolen, it must be replaced immediately.

Now let’s see what steps we must follow:

  1. Inform the local police . The first thing is to go to the local police station to report the theft or loss of documents where a report on the incident will be issued. It is essential to obtain a copy of the report
  2. Requesting Replacement of a Lost/Stolen Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94), Replacement of a lost or stolen Form I-94 is the responsibility of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
  3. Inform the corresponding Spanish Embassy/Consulate (or the nationality of the displaced person) . It will be necessary to present the police report and inform the Spanish authorities of the situation. In addition, it will be the place to go to obtain a new passport or safe-conduct to leave the country.
  4. Inform the Embassy or Consulate of the United States Abroad where it will be necessary to specifically indicate if the visa has been lost or stolen. If you have a copy of your passport or visa, you should scan it and send it by email to the Embassy or Consulate. Otherwise, if known, the visa category and passport number of the lost/stolen visa must be indicated.
  5. Apply for a new visa . Upon return to the country of origin it will be necessary to apply for a new visa.

If you need more information about any immigration procedure, which visa corresponds to you or what may be your best option, at Visas Empresas we will be happy to help you with the process.

For any additional questions about visas, do not hesitate to contact us on our telephone number 91 847 87 30  or by email at  consultas@visadosempresas.com


USA. expanding horizons

History and Treaties of the European Union

The tourist visa waiver does not always include business travel in the case of Thailand


  • At VISAS EMPRESAS we are EXPERTS in visa management.

  • Carrying out work activities without having the required visa is persecuted by legislation and can cause serious damage to the local company.

  • Managing a visa without having the appropriate knowledge can lead to unexpected delays, problems at entry and even the loss of the amount of the fees.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *